Thursday, April 14, 2011

She's HERE!

Introducing our lovely little girl...
Olivia Jayne Bevans
6 pounds 6 ounces
19 1/4 "
April 12 2011 @ 6:46 am

first day home


Despite it being busy time for Grandpa, he came to see you!


Our first picture as a family of four. Jackson absolutely LOVES his little sister.

Lots of love going around


Thank heavens for grandma, who watched Jackson A LOT while we were in the hospital.

This is what Jackson looks like every time he gets to hold Olivia... I think it's the biggest smile we've ever caught on camera from him.

Awww..

Allison stopped by in between her crazy travels around the world! ;P
So... Olivia was born NATURALLY. Yep. Definitely NOT by choice. Here's the rough outline ....

  • Saturday, Sunday, Monday... experience strong contractions, but they never become regular and are on and off all day.
  • 10:30pm on Monday call my mom to come down since contractions are getting really painful and strong (even though they are still not regular)
  • 12-1am at hospital... told that no change is seen and contractions aren't regular. Given the choice to either go home or walk around for another hour to see if this helps. Decide I would rather be in comfort of own home... told to come back when contractions are 3-5 min apart.
  • 1-5am lay in bed with strong contractions, but they never come at regular intervals.
  • 5:00-5:30am Contractions start becoming 5-6 minutes apart. About to get up when suddenly I notice a wet feeling... pretty sure my water broke. Change my clothes (almost impossible at this point because contractions are so painful) and start to panic when contractions start coming every 1-2 minutes... and are VERY strong.
  • 5:40am Mark and I "run" out the door to the hospital. I'm in severe pain and all I keep telling Mark is that I HAVE get an epidural (in between moaning in pain). He keeps assuring me that I will.
  • 6am Arrive to the hospital and I'm starting to be very vocal about my pain (like the people on TV baby shows that I used to think... wow, get a grip lady!... well that lady is now me).
  •  Find out I am already 8cm dilated. Other nurses start buzzing in and out of the room and are getting things ready and said they called my doctor. I am panicking.
  • Nurses are still saying I can get an epidural... but in the back of my mind I'm terrified that I won't be able to. All that is going through my mind right now is how much pain I'm in and WHERE is the anesthesiologist!?
  • Anesthesiologist comes in. Something is going on about a needle dropping, needing another needle... I don't know. I just know it is delaying me getting an epidural.
  • Feel IMMENSE pain and pressure every contraction. I some how communicate this to the nurse. They keep trying to check me (I am on my side with a death grip on my husband's hand and the side of the bed), but I cannot MOVE because I am in so much pain. I am shaking. Somehow they manage to move me.
  • Doctor still not here. Given two options: 1. Epidural 2. I can push a couple of times and it will all be over. Choose #2.
  • 6:46am Push like crazy. 3 pushes later and some screaming and she is out. I am in shock. Shock that she is here and crying and shock that I actually had a natural birth and survived.
  • My doctor comes in 3-5 minutes after she is born.
  • The only plus to having a natural birth is the recovery! Although, I would never willingly choose to do a natural birth again. It was insane, but now we have a beautiful little girl!
Here's some more pictures that I gave up trying to move up towards the other ones.
Jackson, Grandma Bevans, Olivia, and Grandpa Bevans

15 comments:

Unknown said...

OH my gosh, way to go Shauna! I am so sorry you had to g through that. Oh we are so happy for you guys and she is just beautiful!

Unknown said...

PS this is actually melissa rappleye not Curtis's account.

Lisa said...

Congratulations guys! She is beautiful!

Allison Murray said...

yay! she's so cute!!!

Mike and Alicia said...

Congrats! We're so happy for you guys! I'm impressed that you did it natural, that's pretty much my biggest fear!

karlie said...

WOW mama, you are amazing! Bravo for the natural birth. She is perfect!

Emily said...

Hooray for your beautiful Olivia!!! She is so, so cute. I love newborn baby burritos :)
Going natural, huh? Incredible. My sister had two natural-also not by choice. It sounds like quite the experience.

I'm so glad everything turned out well. Enjoy that new little one. She's precious.

GayLynn said...

That brought back memories from Jonah's birth. I totally started cry as I read your experience when you decided to push and then it was all over. Good job, Shauna! Was Jackson excited about his sister before she came? I'm so happy that he LOVES her. I'm worried about Jonah's acceptance of our next baby because right now he says he doesn't want another baby. :(

GayLynn said...

PS- Olivia Jayne is such a beautiful name! How did you finally decide?

Krissy said...

Congratulations! I love her name, too. And I wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel about the natural birth thing. I had Eddie with no epidural and it only took a few pushes and a lot of screaming. Of course, having had an epidural the second time around, I would never go back... so I imagine it was rough to have an epidural with Jackson and then not have one this time. Way to be tough!

Tawna said...

She is darling! Congrats on the Natural Labor!

Tammy said...

Shauna-

Your husband probably came home from the park on Sunday and said he ran into some lady who had a baby the same day as you. It was me! Congrats on your bundle of joy! Just didn't want to leave you wondering who he ran into...

Tammy Campbell

Kristin and Isaac Alldredge said...

Shauna! Congrats! She is absolutely beautiful! Did you know I am a Labor and Delivery nurse? I always take women VERY seriously when they come in having their second baby. Seconds seem to come the fastest. Faster than third, fourth, fifth. I am happy everything turned out ok! Congrats again!

Mark and Shauna said...

Thanks everyone!
Gaylynn- it took almost the entire stay, but I realized that Olivia was the name I would be most sad letting go. Also didn't hurt that Olivia was Mark's favorite as well:)
Krissy- yes, I agree... an epidural is the way to go!
Tammy- I thought it was you, but couldn't be sure! I'm glad you commented or else it would have bugged me forever! Congratulations on your little one too!! April 12 is a great b-day!:) I'm impressed you were out at the park!
Kristin- I didn't know you were a labor and delivery nurse! I wish that you were there the first time I went in and then I probably would have stayed and had an epidural!!

Kim said...

Wow, reading your birth experience was intense! It brought back a lot of unhappy...and happy memories :)

She is BEAUTIFUL! I am really excited to shop and sew for a baby girl agian...gift to come soon! Congratualtions you guys, 2 kiddos is twice as fun! Still not sure about 3 yet, lol :)