Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lovers Quarrel

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting and waiting for my number to be called (can you guess where I was?). In walks this lady and as it is pretty crowded and everyone has already strategically sat so there is one chair between the person sitting next to them, she looks around (and I guess figuring that I don't look like a crazy, weird person) comes and sits by me. I am staring straight ahead willing the numbers to get to mine as quickly as possible and am inwardly cursing at myself for not remembering to bring a book. Anyway, the lady next to me starts chatting with me... a lot. At first it seems harmless enough, but suddenly I realize that maybe she doesn't completely have all the tools in the shed (as my husband likes to say). She starts going off about how the manager of her apartment is letting her son move in and is kicking her out and how she’s writing a letter to this person and that person. But the best part of this long conversation was when these 2 huge guys come strutting in. Preppy? No. Jocks? Definitely not. Gang Members? Possibly. They both have leather jackets on, black bandanas, tattoos, etc. Imagine my surprise when the lady next to me (who has not taken a pause to breathe in the last 15 minutes)... pauses... and then says....

Lady: Ohhh.... lover's quarrel
Me: (nothing... I am trying to understand what she means by this. Did I miss a huge portion of her story with her apartment manager? What's going on?)
L: (turning to me) I'm sorry, I just have a sixth sense about these things. It is what I do. Do you see those two guys that walked in.
M: Yes... (not looking over at those guys since I'd rather NOT make eye contact).
L: Well they just had a lovers quarrel last night. That's why that one guy has a black eye, because he got punched by the other guy who was jealous.
M: Really... hmmm....... (cause I am pretty sure that's NOT how that guy got that black eye. In fact if I was a betting person... you get the idea).

After that she didn't really say much. Maybe because I reduced my sympathetic answers to mumbled "mmmsss" and "hmmms". Anyway, you just never know who you will meet at government offices. If nothing else, it was very entertaining:).

2 comments:

Lisa said...

At least you didn't get bored! :-)

HOH Ministry said...

Shauna,
We'll be seeing you real soon for Kristin's and Mitchell's wedding. Send us your new email address.
Grandma