After being in nursery for almost a year (which meant Mark and I watched 18mo-3 year olds for 2 out of the 3 hours of church every Sunday) here was what life was like at church this Sunday without our nursery calling:
Woke up thinking... yay! We get to go to actual adult lessons this Sunday, followed by me thinking... Oh, no! Jackson has to be by himself in nursery class for the first time...
Sat through sacrament as usual (with occasional worried thoughts about Jackson being in nursery by himself).
Dropped off Jackson in nursery with no problems (we kinda snuck out)...
While talking to some friends outside the door of nursery, see Jackson run out the door crying (followed by a poor nursery leader who turned Jackson around and lead him back into nursery... crying).
Takes all I have not to run up to Jackson and shout, "I'm right here, buddy!!" and hold him (who miraculously didn't see us... probably because he was frantic and crying)
Peek in a minute later to see if he's still crying... he's not! Yay! Although he's just standing in the corner watching people. We don't leave the window until we see him smile, after a nursery leader starts talking with him (probably to get his overly paranoid parents to stop looking through the window).
Start walking down the hall to find our class.
I start crying. Mark starts laughing at me crying and makes some remark about how this is only the beginning.
Stop to compose myself. Check on Jackson for the 4th or 5th time (through the window) before going into class.
Immensely enjoy sitting peacefully and listening to the lesson.
Keep hearing crying outside the door and I continually whisper to Mark, "Was that Jackson?"
Mark goes to check on Jackson.
Mark runs into a church leader who assures Mark that it's not his child who was crying and to go back into the lesson. Mark goes to the bathroom and then checks on Jackson.
After Sunday school, Mark and I both check on Jackson again... then separate into Relief Society (for the women) and Priesthood (for the men).
SO excited to be in Relief Society, speak to friends, and listen to the lesson.
Halfway through I check on Jackson... just one more time. He's fine... climbing on a table, throwing a football and completely enjoying himself.
I pick up Jackson, who (once he stops playing and realizes I am there) runs to me smiling, gives me a big hug and then asks, "Daddy?"
We all leave church in restful, renewed, and completely HAPPY moods. Although we absolutely LOVED the little ones that used to be in our class (including our own kid)... it is SO nice to have an actual lesson that allows us to renew our goals and fill our spirits and let's be honest... be away from the chaos that goes along with watching 2 year olds (especially our own little guy:)).
2 comments:
Ah, separation anxiety parent style :)
You guys are so cute. The separation is hard but it is good for everyone. I just got released from Primary so I got to go to "class" for the first time in over 2 years and it was great. Though I must admit I do miss my Primary kids!
Post a Comment