Saturday, December 11, 2010

3AM

Yep, 3 AM and I am not sleeping... and haven't even fallen asleep even for 5 minutes since going to bed at 11:30 (and I thought that was late!)... and it's not because of a crying baby... but because of sterioids. I've had pretty moderate-serious asthma since I was 5 (resulting in several hospital trips when I was younger, one of the trips included a collapsed lung). However, most of my life it really hasn't effected me besides taking inhalers... I've always been very active and done whatever sport/activity I desired.

However, it DOES really effect me when I get a cold... or more specifically a chest cold, which is why I always get a flu shot. Usually flu shots do pretty well keeping away the serious flu/cold illness'. However, this week I was hit with a really bad chest cold. For the first day I put off going to the doctor, but that night was HORRIBLE and I could barely breathe and was taking my inhaler every hour (and of course, the entire night I was thinking about what this was doing to my little baby). So, went to the doctor, she checked my oxygen levels which were low and I couldn't take a full breath... so she put me on a 3-5 day course of steroids. Today was my first FULL dose of steroids. I didn't think I was experiencing any side effects, but now I totally realize I AM. Because it is TOTALLY unlike me to be up until 3 AM willingly (I am so NOT a night owl and am usually the first to bed).

HOWEVER, I do want to say that steroids are a miracle for asthma. My lungs totally improved within even a couple of hours and today I felt like I could breathe again COMPLETELY normal!

Anyway, the END (of my middle of the night blog writings;P). Hopefully I'll get at least SOME sleep... PLEASE!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh no. I hope you're able to start feeling better soon.

Karilyn McRoberts said...

Dang, that doesn't sound fun!! I hope you get well soon. Pregnancy is hard enough without other health issues.